Portland Homes: 8 Tips for Staying Green while Moving
Staying green while moving isn’t easy. In fact, moving expends a lot of energy. Think about the massive amount of gas those big trucks go through, the toxic cleaning products people use on both their old and new Portland homes and all those cardboard boxes that are overflowing our landfills.
You might be thinking, “Hey, moving is stressful enough without having to worry about going green while moving.” I understand. But, if you’re conscientious about the earth, and want to go as green as you can while you move, here are a few suggestions for you:
- Have a yard sale. Make money and reduce the amount of items you have to pack.
- Invest in bins. Buy recycled plastic bins. They’re sturdy, stack together well and can be reused for years in a multitude of ways.
- Reuse or recycle cardboard containers. Get cardboard boxes that someone else has used. Most moving companies have used boxes they’ll sell to you. Recycle your cardboard boxes by selling them back to places like U-Haul or giving them to a friend who is getting ready to move.
- Use green packing materials. Use things you have to pack anyway like clothing, linens and towels to cushion objects or fill gaps in boxes. You can also purchase compostable packing materials, such as compostable packing peanuts. Or, use paper towels made from recycled paper, and after you unpack, reuse them to clean up messes. When you have to use non-green packing materials, don’t throw them away; save them for future use or give them away to people who are getting ready to move.
- Secure with ZIP ties. Choose ZIP ties that are made from recycled plastic. Use them instead of tape to secure hoses, lids and doors and drawers on furniture.
- Donate. Instead of throwing things away that you no longer want, donate them. Some thrift stores will even pick up donations at your house.
- Dispose properly. Call the recycling centers in your city to find out how to properly dispose of anything you need to throw away. These days you can recycle paper, appliances, copiers, computers and phones.
- Use green cleaning products. Green cleaning products can be found at most big retail stores these days. Use environmentally-friendly products to clean both Portland homes (the one you’re moving out of and the one you’re moving into).
When it comes to the environment, every little change can make a big difference. With a little bit of knowledge, we can all help save the earth one small change at a time in our Portland homes.
If you’re moving and need to buy or sell a home, I can help. Check out more helpful articles on the Portland Real Estate Blog.