By now you’ve probably heard about how toxic common household cleansers can be. Ammonia, bleach, and other ingredients we can’t even pronounce produce poisonous vapors in the home. They can be a major source of indoor air pollution in your Portland home, not to mention their impact on the environment after they go down the drain. More and more people are adopting home remedies to not only look after their family but also the environment. Consider using these safe, natural and cost-effective alternatives:
- Baking soda – Just as it says on the box, this old standby can be used in many ways in your Portland home. Known to banish odors, it’s also an effective cleanser in the kitchen and bath.
- Vinegar – There’s nothing like acid to make an impact; vinegar is a natural acid solution. Mix it with water to make the best glass cleaner around. Try wiping windows and mirrors with newspaper instead of cloth to prevent streaking.
- Essential Oils – This option has been around for centuries, but has grown in popularity as of late. Kills 99.9% of germs in a formula that you can spray right into your babies mouth without harm.
- Non-chlorine bleach – This alternative to chlorine bleach uses oxygen to disinfect and clean. It comes as either a liquid or powder.
- Enzymatic cleaners– Enzymes clean by actually digesting dirt and stains. There are three kinds of enzymes that can tackle just about anything you throw them at:
- Proteases act on proteins
- Amylases act on starches
- Lipases act on fats or oils
Cleaning with green alternatives makes it a more pleasant experience and protects the health of your family and the environment. If home remedies are not your thing, check out this amazing company that is revolutionizing the cleaning product industry.
Blueland’s mission is to provide non-toxic cleaning products for the home in reusable bottles. In doing so they are hoping to save 1 Billion single use bottles in the US alone. Helping to eliminate waste that is eventually dumped into our oceans effecting our marine habitat and eventually the water we drink and the food we eat.
Blueland exhibits so many characteristics that we embrace at Urbanvue, but most of all living with intention.