Everyone wants to save money right? Finding ways to trim expenses on your Portland home can give you a little more cushion for those unexpected expenses (my daughter dented my new car!) or small indulgences that make life a little bit better (gourmet coffee – delicious!).
Here are a few tips on how to keep your electric bill down, and make your Portland home a haven of energy conservation and economy.
- Unplug – In this age of charging everything from cell phones to laptops, it’s easy to look around and realize that you have many, many appliance plugged in that don’t need to be.
- Insulate with your window treatments – You want to do all you can to keep the heat inside your home and not leaking out into the wider world. Heavy drapes that are hung close to the window are a great way to make sure of this. Open them during the day to make the most of the natural heat from the sun and then close them at night to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Switch to LED bulbs – The initial investment in the bulbs is more expensive, but they last longer and save on the electric bill by using 75% less energy. As your old bulbs burn out, make the switch, and see your electric bill drop.
- Keep your freezer full – It takes less energy to keep a full freezer cold than an empty one. You can choose to make this an excuse to keep more ice cream on hand, or just put in some extra containers of water in the freezer for ice blocks. The good news is that if a thunderstorm knocks out your electricity, those big blocks of ice might keep your ice cream safe.
- Upgrade to Energy Star Appliances – These appliances are designed to be more energy efficient, saving you money over the long haul.
The more aware of your energy consumption you are, the more you will remember to turn off that light switch and unplug the toaster when it’s not in use. Little actions add up!