If you have a pet, you know how difficult it is to keep your Portland home clean with a pet (or two or three) living with you. There’s the ever present pet hair that clings to everything. And, the pet food, water, toys and treats that are scattered from room to room.
We love our pets and wouldn’t live without them. But, life would be much more pleasant without the pet mess. Here are a few ideas to help tame the pet mess in your Portland home:
- Brush your pet outside. This will drastically cut down on the amount of pet hair in your home.
- Brush your pet regularly. Since pets shed frequently, try to brush them at least once a week. Some people recommend daily brushing. If you have time for daily brushing, it’d be great, but I don’t know anyone who has that kind of time.
- Pick a pet that doesn’t shed and is hypoallergenic. Put this on your “How to Choose My Next Pet” checklist.
- Invest in good lint rollers. You can get these at most big retail stores. Use them in your house to remove pet hair from your furniture and clothing, and also have one in your car for those times you see stray pet hair on your clothes.
- Vacuum, sweep and/or mop frequently. Pet fur will get worse if you don’t vacuum frequently. It winds itself around the carpet fibers and becomes difficult to remove. If you don’t remove the pet hair from the environment often, it will float into the air and land who knows where, including on your food.
- Get rid of the carpet. Pet hair and bodily fluids from pets are much easier to remove from tile and wood floors than from carpet. Keep your pets out of rooms, such as bedrooms, where you really want to keep the carpet.
If you establish a schedule to brush your pet and vacuum your carpets, you’ll find keeping your Portland home clean, even with a messy pet, becomes as simple as any other weekly routine.
Want to buy a home that’s pet friendly? We can help. Check out more helpful articles on the Portland Real Estate Blog.