5 Reasons to Choose a Resale Portland Home Over New Construction
You’ve decided you want to buy a Portland home, but you’re not sure if you should buy a previously-owned home or a newly built home. Here are five reasons why buying a pre-owned Portland home might be right for you:
- You want big trees – The cost of landscaping a newly built home can be exorbitant, especially if you want big trees immediately. When you buy a resale home, you get the benefit of a mature neighborhood with tree-lined streets and an eclectic variety of landscaping already in place.
- You want an established neighborhood: Who wants to deal with the noise and dust until all the construction is completed? No one! What if all the homes don’t sell? You could end up living in a partially finished neighborhood without all the promised amenities. When you buy a pre-owned home, you know what you’re getting – just ask the neighbors.
- You don’t want to have to deal with a home builder. Not only do you have to deal with the builder while the home is being built, you’ll also be dealing with him or her for years afterwards. There are invariably things that need to be fixed, even after you move into your newly constructed home. If you decide to build a new home, hire a real estate agent to represent you before you begin the process of looking at home construction, and thoroughly research the builder before signing anything. Too many times I have seen things go south fast.
- You don’t want to pick out everything: Most people think they want the opportunity to pick out all the light fixtures, flooring, countertops, and on and on, but the reality is that it’s very time consuming. It’s also hard work if you don’t enjoy or have a knack for decorating. Not to mention arguments with a spouse over differing opinions.
- You want a definite move-in date: When you’re building a new home, there are invariably time delays. They can be caused by bad weather, slow supply delivery, overbooked subcontractors. Unfortunately, you have no control over any of these.
Whether you’ve decided buying a pre-owned or new Portland home is right for you, I can help.