10 Most Important Things to Do When Staging Your Portland Home for Sale
Selling your home takes more effort than simply listing your Portland home for sale in an MLS and placing a For Sale sign in the front yard. You have to showcase your home in a way that makes potential buyers desire it.
One of the best ways to create this desire is to stage your home so that buyers can see themselves living in it. Here are the 10 most important things to do when staging your Portland home for sale.
- Remove personal touches. Buyers want to picture themselves in your home, not you and your family. Remove family photos, memorabilia and collections.
- De-clutter. Clear the bathroom and kitchen counters. Take knickknacks off the shelves. Pack away half of the kids’ toys.
- Organize your cabinets and closets. Take the time to neatly stack dishes and fold towels. Arrange your spices and canned goods. Interested buyers will look in all your cabinets and closets.
- Make minor repairs. Go through your home and take care of issues like stuck drawers, missing cabinet hardware, and leaky faucets. This shows potential buyers that you meticulously care for your home.
- Clean. Scrub every inch of your home. Remove cobwebs and the dust collected on your ceiling fans. Scour the grout on the bathroom floor. Replace worn rugs. Hang fresh towels. Clean out your refrigerator.
- Freshen your yard. Remove and replace dead or dying plants. Trim hedges. Rake leaves. Clean the windows.
- Get rid of odors. Take out the trash daily and avoid cooking with strong foods or spices. Place potpourri or wall air fresheners strategically throughout your home.
- Think neutral. Neutral colors sell homes. Go ahead and repaint your rooms with a neutral color, especially if your home is decorated with very personal colors or wallpaper designs.
- Make your rooms look bigger. Take extra leaves out of your dining room table. Remove the extra chairs and bookcases in your living room.
- Rent a storage unit. Don’t stuff your garage with all those items you packed away or removed from your rooms to make them look bigger. Keep your garage looking great by moving the boxes and furniture to a storage unit.
Let me help you stage your Portland home for a fast sale.
Want more helpful articles? Subscribe to the Portland Real Estate Blog.